This four-module online course is intended to provide current and future solar+energy storage installers with the information they need to select, install, commission, secure, and maintain product and service solutions required for CA Rule 21 compliance. The course will also cover considerations associated with directly linking to utilities and network aggregators and how to express the impact and benefits of DER communication solutions to customers.
Participants in this course will come away with a basic understanding of the CA Rule 21 interconnection regulation, its new communication network requirements, and how these requirements affect system installation and operation.
2018 Course Schedule:
December cohort TBA
Multiple employees need to enroll? Contact email@example.com to discuss member and bulk enrollment discounts!
Module 1: What is California Rule 21?
- History of the CA Rule 21 interconnection regulation
- Relationship to IEEE 1547 standard
- CA Rule 21 update and time line
- Phase 1
- Phase 2
- Phase 3
- How does it apply to PV, PV+storage, and storage only systems?
Module 2: DER/smart inverter functions for the California market
- Core requirements: IEEE 1547-2018
- Autonomous functions
- Communication interface to autonomous functions
- Interactive functions
- Telemetry, scheduling and oversight
Module 3: Communication details for California Rule 21
- Relating CA Rule 21 to DER/smart inverter functions
- Common Smart Inverter Profile and utility handbook
- IEEE 2030.5 protocol details
- Deployment & network configuration options
- Cybersecurity considerations
Module 4: Networking From DER to IOU
- Aggregated vs. direct connect: who, what, when, why, how?
- Installation considerations
- Commissioning considerations
- Operations considerations
- Energy off-taker and asset owner considerations
- Sourcing equipment and aggregation services