Orange ButtonSM is an open data exchange standard for the distributed solar PV industry. Comprised of information models, a standard taxonomy, a standard Application Program Interface (API), and supporting compliance test suites, Orange Button enables the free flow of data between information systems used in the solar asset lifecycle to decrease long term costs and increase innovation. Version 1.0 is now available here.
The Orange Button Initiative has three primary goals:
- Identify the information needed for financing solar energy systems
- Define data interchange standards that reduce transactional friction and system integration expense
- Enable transfer of standardized solar data sets between business partners and related parties
Orange Button provides ready-to-use standards for wide industry adoption, reduces solar soft costs to grow the market, and accelerates low cost development of interoperable solutions. The system leverages mature, widely adopted, and royalty-free standards with broad applicability across the solar project lifecycle to provide significant benefits to all stakeholders.
Orange Button Community & Acccomplishments
The Orange Button program has achieved several important accomplishments:
- Engaged with more than 1,000 solar professionals representing more than 350 companies around the world.
- Delivered Orange Button 1.0, a solar finance data taxonomy consisting of 4,000 terms.
- Defined and delivered the Orange Button API.
- Produced the first ever Orange Button Developer’s Conference in Cupertino, CA
- Developed a network of more than 100 Orange Button Implementors who are working on an even greater number of software solutions.
How Your Company Can Get involved
Join the Orange Button Implementor’s Network today and get access to the Orange Button taxonomy and API, market and product requirements documentation, developer resources, training, and support.
Background and Funding
The Orange Button Initiative is public/private partnership funded by the U.S. Department of Energy Sunshot Initiative, Orange Button leverages the idea that commercial enterprises in the solar industry are incentivized, by market forces, to share data with each other in order to achieve operational efficiency and financial gain. See the press release here.