SunSpec Alliance is pleased to announce its partnership with the University of California San Diego to provide education to support the roll out of the updated California Rule 21 interconnection regulation that now includes requirements for secure data communication. These courses, designed by SunSpec and accredited by University of California San Diego Extension, are aimed at executive decision makers and software engineers employed by manufacturers, system integrators, independent engineers, and utility companies, along with installers of solar/energy storage systems in California, and are designed to accelerate the deployment of CA Rule 21 compliant systems. This program consists of three educational tracks aligned to the needs of the target audiences.
Technical Track: Secure Communication Networking for Distributed Energy Resources
This fully online 9 week course is intended to provide current and future engineers working in the distributed energy industry with the information they need to design products that incorporate secure communication networking and deploy networks that incorporate these products. The course will also cover considerations associated with integrating the operations of utilities and network aggregators.
People with different outcomes will experience different learning outcomes. For electrical engineers specializing in computing and data communication, the course will impart knowledge pertaining to Distributed Energy Resource (DER) physical functions and their relationship to communication protocols. For electrical engineers specializing in power engineering will impart knowledge pertaining to information protocols and how they map to physical functions. For others, the course will impart a basic understanding of power engineering and data communication in the DER domain.
Installer Track: California Rule 21 Distributed Energy Resource Networking for System Installers
This four-module online course is intended to provide current and future solar+energy storage installers with the information they need to select, install, commission, secure, and maintain product and service solutions required for CA Rule 21 compliance. The course will also cover considerations associated with directly linking to utilities and network aggregators and how to express the impact and benefits of DER communication solutions to customers.
Participants in this course will come away with a basic understanding of the CA Rule 21 interconnection regulation, its new communication network requirements, and how these requirements affect system installation and operation.
Executive Track: The California Rule 21 Market Opportunity
This all day in-person workshop hosted by the SunSpec Alliance provides Distributed Energy business executives with the foundational understanding of the California Rule 21 opportunity. Topics will include distributed energy market dynamics; market sizing, business models, and competitive barriers; technical details regarding Distributed Energy Resource (DER) data communication and functional requirements; and considerations about how to deploy DER networks in California and across the US.
At the end of this course participants will walk away with a clear understanding of distributed energy market dynamics; market sizing, business models, and competitive barriers; technical details regarding Distributed Energy Resource (DER) data communication and functional requirements; and considerations about how to deploy DER networks in California and across the US. Participants will possess the tools that will allow them to speak authoritatively about CA Rule 21 Phases 1, 2, and 3. Distributed energy companies can be confident that those holding this certificate of completion possess this highly sought after expertise.
SunSpec is Seeking Partners That Wish to Lead and Promote This Educational Program:
Companies who support the program by providing either funding or marketing resources will receive:
- Branding on all SunSpec promotional materials (email, web site, registration page, collateral, in-room signage, and Power Point template) supporting a minimum of six (6) executive training events, two (2) online training cohorts for engineers, and one (1) online cohort for installers. In total, sponsors can count on 35 emails reaching 2,500 people (87,500 delivered messages) and 500 in-person branding experiences in 2018.
- Open invitation to participate in Executive events including verbal acknowledgement at the opening, closing, and breaks, and a display table for product literature.
- Acknowledgement at SunSpec produced events and conference tracks at Intersolar North America, Solar Power International, and the SunSpec Annual Member meeting. The audience reached by these additional events is estimated at 300-400 individuals.
- In-course brand placement to begin and end each educational module.
- Membership on the SunSpec/UCSDX curriculum advisory board.
- Free course enrollment for employees
- Right to use UCSDX and SunSpec brand in relevant marketing content
- Be positioned as a leading brand in the entire US DER industry!
Contact email@example.com to get involved!
All students are expected to comply with UCSDX code of conduct and no student information shall be shared per FERPA guidelines.