The SunSpec Certified program for Rapid Shutdown verifies compliance to the SunSpec Communication Signal for Rapid Shutdown Functional Specification to meet the requirement established by National Electrical Code (NEC) 2017. PV module-level power control and safety (“rapid shutdown”) is required in 24 states starting in January 2019 and will affect millions of PV panels and all solar inverters. This standard is tested using UL 1741 SA criteria.
SunSpec Communication Signal for Rapid Shutdown Testing Specification
SunSpec Rapid Shutdown is typically implemented in association with Inverters and PV modules though other configurations are possible.
Market Benefits of the Rapid Shutdown Specification and Certification Program
|First Responder Safety||Industry Benefits and Growth||Consumer Benefits and Protection|
|Provides simple, robust, and reliable solution to shut down the voltage at module level to 1V per module (NEC2017 requires < 80V).||Lowest cost solution to what is a fundamental market requirement.
Reduces installation and interconnection cost with Plug-and-Play system components.Reports system health every time the sun comes up or the system is re-activated.
|Open standard protects consumers with competitive pricing, multi-vendor choices, differentiated options and value availability.
Ensures system service and upgrades with choice of vendors and interoperable components.Increases consumer safety and confidence in DER technology.
New Resources and Specifications
- Rapid Shutdown Fact Sheet (PDF)
- SunSpec Communication Signal for Rapid Shutdown Functional Specification
- Communication Signal for Rapid Shutdown Test Specification
- SunSpec Rapid Shutdown Mark Use Guidelines
- PICS Template
- NEC 2017 Primer for Solar Installers: Manufacturers Explain How Their Products Meet the Updated Code
- The Importance of Industry Standards
- Build innovative solar solutions with TI (video)
- Taking the Lead on Solar-panel Safety with a Reference Design Specifically for Rapid Shutdown
- Fronius Symo Advanced Inverter Receives First SunSpec Rapid Shutdown Certification
- Rapid Shutdown Gets Its First Sunspec Certification in Fronius